Error when adding new volume to postgres

I was trying to follow the steps in How to convert your not-free Postgres to free Postgres to upgrade my pg volume and get following error:

% fly volumes create pg_data --region lax --size 2
Error failed creating volume: unhandled upstream service error: error creating lv: error creating volume:   Using default stripesize 64.00 KiB.
  device-mapper: message ioctl on  (253:2) failed: Device or resource busy
  Failed to process thin pool message "delete 1113".
  Failed to suspend data_0/volume_pool with queued messages.
: exit status 5
``

Did you retry this or resolve it? I wonder if it was a temporary issue with that region, or persisting.

In comparing I noticed that guide specifically includes the app as a flag. That may well not make any difference, but just in case could give that a try?

fly volumes create pg_data --region lax --size 2 -a <pgname>

Seems like it still happening in that region:

fly volumes create pg_data --region lax --size 3 -a <pgname>
Error failed creating volume: unhandled upstream service error: error creating lv: error creating volume:   Using default stripesize 64.00 KiB.
  device-mapper: message ioctl on  (253:2) failed: Device or resource busy
  Failed to process thin pool message "delete 1113".
  Failed to suspend data_0/volume_pool with queued messages.
: exit status 5

I’ve been executing this from a folder where I have the fly.toml file for the pg app, but I just retried it with the -a argument and still had no luck.

The volume itself gets created, but it’s not attached to any VM and fly scale count 2 -a <pgname> does not spin any new instances:

fly volumes list
ID                  	NAME   	SIZE	REGION	ZONE	ATTACHED VM	CREATED AT
vol_okgj5453xdqry2wz	pg_data	3GB 	lax   	3944	           	2 minutes ago
vol_1g67340gx9krydxw	pg_data	1GB 	lax   	bf73	fdb2b6ac   	1 day ago

Hmm. Yes, if run from the same folder as the fly.toml, the CLI will know the current application and so the -a flag would indeed not be needed.

That command looks correct to me so this is going to be one for team Fly to investigate what’s causing that error.

We’re looking at this, you should be able to create a new volume while we investigate, though (it’ll hit a different zone).