when Ireland?

Are there any plans to add the Republic of Ireland as a hosting region?

We are trying a setup where the Postgres database remains hosted on Heroku’s “Europe” region, which is in Ireland (source). Even from the closest Fly region, lhr (London, UK), the simplest database queries take ~18ms as opposed to ~0.5ms from a Heroku dyno. This is not viable, but we’re wondering whether it could be if the Fly app was deployed in Ireland.

Hosting in the Republic of Ireland, as opposed to Northern Ireland, is due to legal concerns.

Thanks a lot! :pray:

2 Likes

I’m afraid we don’t have any immediate plans for a region in Ireland. Sorry!

1 Like

Ireland is hard, sadly. Amazon built an entire datacenter there. We can reasonably try to get to any datacenter Equinix offers over the next few years, but even they’re not in Ireland: https://www.equinix.com/data-centers

Oh I missed Dublin on the Equnix list. That means there’s a chance, but I would be surprised if we do it in less than a year. :slight_smile:

Seems like all datacenters belonging to AWS eu-west-1 are around Dublin as well (source). So that’s as close as it gets, notwithstanding intra-datacenter connectivity, of course.

Then I’d just like to leave this as a feature request. Offering a globally distributed hosting could not only be used to co-locate with customers, but also with (other) service providers. Think use cases like ours, stock exchanges, etc.

Thanks for the quick response and transparency :pray:

I would also greatly appreciate a fly datacenter in Ireland.
Now that England has left the EU, there are legal reasons to not have a database in the UK.
Right now, using fly for a serious application in Ireland is too slow.

Hi @kurt

It has been almost a year and I’m wondering if there is any update on this?
In conversations with interested parties about an incipient app, they are insisting on servers located in Ireland.
We have the “demo” app hosted on Fly but need to switch to something else if we cannot have an Ireland region.

would be interested to see an Ireland as EU-West option also - now that some time has passed on the thread - maybe more consideration has been given to it?

2 Likes

Has there been any internal mention of this? Any hint of Ireland being a future region?