Timeline for more & updated documentation

Thanks so much for repsonding!

Okay that makes a lot of sense when it comes to process groups. I think it’d be really insightful if there was a bit more visual separation than just filters on the metrics and the scaling. For example I think it might be a bit more clear visually if you separated the scaling part

As for documentation:

• How to migrate a postgresql instance to fly (I wrote this one but it’s pretty janky cause I was having a really hard time migrating a rails instance with what I’ve found)
  • How to make read replications from an outside database. I know there is this but no specific guide
    • Would love to have an example databases hosted by other major players like AWS/DO/Heroku & Render (for me :wink: )
  • How to backup databases
  • How to use snapshots

To be clear my confidence in self-hosting a database is super low, so I’d rather have a managed database solution that I can call in and replicate on fly instead of having to handle me messing up my database somehow on here. Hence me requesting these things. I’m fine with downing my server every once and a while but I’m not fine with losing data (obviously haha)

• In-depth Rails deployment guide with the application of most common libraries ie: Sidekiq
    • I think also having things like this for Django and others would be really helpful too
  • Managing processes, how to modify your docker file, and what to know about them.
    • Example: I don’t know if I should leave my docker file alone or not because if you see in the example above I have 3 processes running, but I actually should just have web & worker running. I think this is being called from docker, but it brings me peace of mind to know for a fact that I’m doing things right than discovering them on my own that I should delete the docker run file, as compared to “I hope I’m right about this, but it’s working” haha
    • Sidenote: I think it’d be very helpful to know what my upcoming bill will be because right now it says 0 for the month and I don’t think that’s correct.
  • More information on health checks like how to create them, examples of health checks
  • More indepth information on implementing multistage build targets that doesn’t just link out to the docker site (if this is still going to be a thing). Maybe implementing a rails/sidekiq approach depending on what you guys think best practice is
  • While the how to read fly.toml line by line is good, it only shows what’s there. I think having a fly.toml mastery guide or something would be super helpful to know everything that one can do in there.

Alright, that’s all I can think of for now :slight_smile:

I’d contribute but I don’t feel like I know enough, one day when I become a DevOps pro I can pitch in but I’m not even confident in how I do things now.

1 Like