Scale count not responsive

Last night for the first time I scaled my app from 1 to 3 machines and going from 1 to 2 regions and now when I try to deploy updates the machines never restart. I also tried to manually restart with fly apps restart <app-name> which said it worked but the restart never happened and when I check fly status the machines are still listed as 0 restarts.

I tried reducing down to one region and reducing machines to both 1 or 2 and now a new machine of the latest version has spun up, but the old machines don’t appear to be spinning down. You can see this in my screenshot.

Is there any way to either manually manage these apps more directly or a more idiomatic way to get back into a normal state? Also, I’d like to avoid being billed for these machines that I don’t want running.

Seems like you may have hit a similar to issue to this one: App not responsive, website down, cannot deploy!

Is there any way to either manually manage these apps more directly

You can switch to using Fly Apps v2 aka Fly Machines (what you’re currently using is Fly Apps v1) if you desire more control: Difference between Apps and Machines - #4 by ignoramous

…or a more idiomatic way to get back into a normal state?

I believe something is up with the Fly control plane… I suggested this in the other thread (linked to from above): Deploy the same code to a new Fly app (v2 instead of v1, if you are feeling adventurous).

We had some issues with v1 apps this afternoon. We’ve implemented a fix and are monitoring. status.flyio.net