Did Trial plan end? I cannot deploy apps anymore even with no apps.

Just as the title says, I cannot deploy any apps, it asks for credit card information even if I have zero apps currently, did Fly ended free unlimited trial plan?

2 Likes

I don’t believe so. You should still be able to deploy up to 3 of the smallest vms, with 256mb, for free.

However you may need to provide a credit card to do that. That won’t be billed if you don’t exceed the free allowance.

As for why Fly ask for a credit card, they have mentioned:

Even for our free services, we require a credit card number. We know that’s the worst and it gives you heartburn. It’s not because we plan to charge you. But here’s what happens if you give people freemium full access to a hosting platform: lots and lots of free VMs mining for cryptocurrencies. We could tell you we want to prevent crypto mining because we care about the planet, and that would be true. We also have a capitalism nerve that hurts when people spend our money gambling. Your credit card number is the thin plastic line between us and chaos.

Source:

2 Likes

Although I understand the situation, I was using it with no credit card until just now, for what I got from the pricing I get a little less with no card verification:

You notice that there are “2” free plans Free: and With payment method:

Each having different allowances.

1 Like

Ah … you make a good point! That UI does indeed say you can unlock more by adding a payment method. I’d understood the Hobby plan (aka the free one) required a payment method to use at all.

Going to be one for Fly’s billing people to clarify.

1 Like

It would need more research, but it seems sometimes when you create your account using GitHub link instead of manually adding a user and password this error happens.

A solution is to delete the app and recreate it by adding a password manually. You may also try to create the app from a different machine, to really test if there is no issue with flyctl installation, but this seems less probable

Can someone from the dev team make a clear statement about this? I’ve been reccomending fly to some students to learn about app lifecyce, docker, etc. and all of them can’t deploy anymore. Is trial without CC still a thing or not?

Edit: My UI looks slightly different than that and makes no mention or distinction between Free and With payment method. Looks like they changed it, silently.

@nyan There has since been a clear, definitive statement from Kurt regarding this very question:

So you do need a credit card. Which won’t be billed (provided you stay within the free tier’s allowance).

Oh I see, I guess the influx from heroku seedboxes and crypto miners was too much. I guess the students will need some $25 pre paid card.