What happens when I move apps to another organization?

Hi,

I’d like to move some apps (including a Postgres cluster) from my personal to another org (in the same account). As there isn’t much in the documentation about that process, I am a little hesitant just doing it. What can I expect? Will there be a longer down time? Do I need to move all apps at once (like can my apps from the personal org access the PG in the other org?)? Thank you.

I was looking for the same answer, but I couldn’t find any, so I’ve just tried it.

App cannot communicate to the DB from another organisation, therefore you’ll need to move app and DB one after another, and you’ll expect a one minute downtime.

I haven’t been able to create a proxy to my DB after that, though.

I’m having some issues with app to DB communication and I suspect this is the reason, but it happens intermittently.

Did you ever figure this out? I’m running into the same issue.

I’ve had to contact support to resolve the issue.

For future readers of this topic:

• Apps from different orgs can’t communicate through their private network (this may change in the future)
  • You have to move both apps to the new org and expect minutes long downtime
  • Once moved, the VMs needs to be redeployed, this is done automatically since flyctl v0.0.440 but if you can’t ssh or communicate with your app after moving, try redeploying it.
  • If fly deploy doesn’t fix it for Apps V2 (aka Machines), try updating machines with fly machines update ... command
1 Like