Volume disk usage on dashboard

Here’s a quick dashboard update: our volumes list page now comes with usage data for your file system. This is just the first of other places that will get this data so I just wanted to share this small update with you all.

Notes:

• If you’re looking for volume usage on databases and compare to the metrics page Database Size this will very likely be different because that metric only shows the database size itself, not the entire volume usage.
  • This works much like a df command inside a VM, we use the same calculation from https://fly-metrics.net/ for apps with volumes.
  • This updates frequently on running VMs which means if you have volumes not attached to running machines it will show 0. Don’t worry if you have a stopped machine with a volume showing 0 usage even though you know there’s data there, we’ll fetch information as soon as the machine is started.

See you next time!

7 Likes

This is great!

1 Like

This is awesome. What is the best suggested way to monitor this and receive alerts when the storage is at 90% usage for example.

Also, a lot of our PG apps are now showing “No volumes” but all 3 machines are running for example.

The numbers seem off for me, our pg_data volumes show 1,378MB of usage in the dashboard – but df -h reports only 480MB of usage… are volumes replicated in some way and are the replicas being counted?

We ship file system usage to our Prometheus so you could setup something like self hosted grafana alerting.

Are they on Apps V2? I should have added to the notes that this will work only for apps v2. We are moving towards all apps using machines so our goal is for those databases to be able to benefit from new work like this one. We will be adding a notice there soon.

It could be slightly off indeed, even df might show off numbers. Here’s an example of that on a machine of mine:

root@5683d269f3758e:/# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs        2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev
/dev/vda        7.9G  806M  6.7G  11% /
shm             2.0G  1.1M  2.0G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/vdb        9.8G  149M  9.2G   2% /data

You can see 5683d269f3758e is one of the attached machines on the screenshot above, it says on the dashboard the usage is 709MB while df says 149M but opon checking the avail column on df you can spot the weirdness.

Yes, all the apps are running V2.

Can you send it here or DM me your app name so I can take a look?

Here are a few apps I noticed it on so far.

bridge-way-fb-capi-db
rotator-api-db

This might be a distributed systems issue :sweat_smile: , we are working on improving this. In the meantime we updated the UI to better reflect that it’s loading rather than having no volumes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.