Sudden bill for this month. What changed?

Update: My issues have been resolved. I marked the comment that highlighted the problem. And the Fly team for reaching out and offering a solution here Sudden bill for this month. What changed? - #19 by joshua-fly

I just got the billings email for this month and 2 of my projects which were free because they consumed less than 5 dollars of resources are now no longer free because they have prices of 5.58 and 3.71 respectively. Surprisingly, in the dashboard, the 3.71 is not present and I see a 7.65 bill instead. What changed? Thanks!

2 Likes

Same here, something seems weird.
What gives?

I came here for the same reason, an unexpected charge of “4.13USD ND:FLY.IO”, hobby plan, single idle toy app. Fly.io dashboard hasn’t invoices or any explanation of the charge in the dashboard.

Should I initiate a charge back?

I was also billed for two apps suddenly for ip allocations, I have removed the allocations but this was a surprise, all my other invoices under $5 were not billed but suddenly I was billed for ipv4 addresses with no communication.

1 Like

Same for me, I have 2 testing projects that haven’t changed for many months, but today I am surprised to receive a 4.13 bill for the first time. What changed?

+1 … it appears I was charged for an IP Address when looking at the invoice. I haven’t used Fly.io in a long time, although I did leave a super simple (static html) project running from last time I was here. I am not opposed to paying for resources I used (just over $2) but this came out of the blue and would like verification first.

I’m affected by this too, and was not notified beforehand. As a minimum I should have received an email.

:-1:

1 Like

I am also in the same boat.

$2.06

Not a big deal in and of itself, but it seems to indicate the first of ongoing charges which I received no notification of.

Same here, didn’t got any email notification before, sudden bill.

1 Like

You guys are lucky. I got charged for $75 :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Same here. I have one small personal api deployed to fly. It has always been free. I have not redeployed or otherwise touched it in months, and all of a sudden I got an email saying how lucky I am to have gotten a 100% discount on my bill since it was under $5. But I’ve never received a bill ever before. Why on earth am I being billing $2.06 for a distinct ip (which is hidden inside the detailed invoice, all my invoices on the main page just say $0) when I haven’t touched anything on this account or received any contact from fly about a change? I’m glad I was credited for this unexpected charge, but with no communication, I have no idea why this happened or what to expect on the next bill.

1 Like

I wasn’t so lucky to get a 100% discount, since I was billed for an inactive app’s ipv4, too. Leaves a bad taste :confused:

After more searching, I came across these threads:

They apparently decided to change this policy by posting to their message board rather than contacting any customers via email which…sucks… They also claim that you would start seeing previews in advance on your invoices but 1) I don’t get notifications about invoices, they’re always $0. 2) When I search through my recent invoices, there were no preview charges. The first appearance was in this latest bill and I was credited because “Free tier bonus” and again, not emailed that invoice or anything else.

I was able to follow the steps in the linked forums to remove my dedicated IP address and replace it with a shared IPv4 HOWEVER, I first released the dedicated IP, which immediately took my site down, then when I tried to allocate a shared one I got an error - it forced me to enter a credit card into my account, which I intentionally never did – before I could allocate a shared IP. But at that point my site was already offline so I had no choice but to do it.

Given that I had to go through this because of surprise billing, I am extremely unnerved that to resolve it I had to enter a credit card, which I intentionally never did before specifically so that I could avoid any surprise future bills if something like this ever were to happen.

4 Likes

I think my billing issues came from the v4 IPs that were allocated to my apps. I just removed them. But I can’t allocate new v4 IPs because the invoices couldn’t go through. Fly should reset the billings for people this month (or a few months really) so everybody can update their apps if need be. Otherwise the communication through the forum only and no emails is really poor. And now I have a few apps that are down. Waiting for fly to reset my billings to get them back up.

I too am affected by this sudden change. I only host test projects and I’ve never been billed a single cent. I wasn’t told in advance about this change. I think that fly.io should cancel this charge.

I’m confused by the comments saying there was no mention of this. Every single month before this, in the billing section, there was a “charge” listed for Dedicated IPs which stated it was a preview charge and would not apply. Do I somehow have my own special UI?

You must be a late user, because when I joined(around 2021) there was no charge for IP addresses.

Lot of us had created a app for testing or create a app leave it up. My app was testing UDP support for IPv6 (they still does not support it)

I am also confused why even an active user needs to login to the UI when the app management is mainly done from the CLI.

This needed to be communicated via email, not as a post here or in the billing section.

Indeed, we should have communicated better through email also another thing that happened was that some folks didn’t get the usual full discount at for invoices <= $5.00 because of a bug which made many be charged for the first time.

Here’s the main thread for this:

@jgb-solutions You should be able to allocate a shared IP address now. We’re working on the billing issue independently to refund these charges.

For transparency’s sake, here’swhy you ran into this problem:

Before, Fly.io allowed free tier users to deploy apps without adding a credit card. This led to widespread abuse of the platform by bad folks, so we now require credit cards for a larger subset of users. Your account got marked as past-due by our billing system.

1 Like

For those not on the other forum thread about this: we’re working on refunding these charges and restoring your account status. We’ll be emailing everyone with details as soon as we cobble them together.

2 Likes