Remix app stops working, can't even see the logs

:wave: Hi, I have 2 Remix apps deployed and I just discovered both of them are unreachable and I can’t even see the logs from the UI or the CLI.

The logs seems to be completely stuck as well I can’t see anything from the UI or CLI

$ fly logs -a tru-id-guestbook-qa 

Waiting for logs...

They were working fine up until a couple of weeks ago when I last tested them personally.
We don’t use these apps very often but they are quite important as sometimes we use them to demo our technology and they need to work.
I have a credit card on file as well for the organisation and we would happily pay to keep it up and running all the time :smile:

Try fly status --all to see the state of the current deployment. That should give you a hint as to what’s going on.

I get this

$ fly -c fly.qa.toml status --all 
App
  Name     = tru-id-guestbook-qa          
  Owner    = tru-id                       
  Version  = 0                            
  Status   = running                      
  Hostname = tru-id-guestbook-qa.fly.dev  

Instances
ID      	PROCESS	VERSION	REGION	DESIRED	STATUS 	HEALTH CHECKS     	RESTARTS	CREATED              
e79bb25f	app    	0      	lhr   	run    	running	1 total, 1 passing	0       	2022-04-07T13:19:34Z	

and

$ fly -c fly.prod.toml status --all 
Run "fly version update" to upgrade.
App
  Name     = tru-id-guestbook          
  Owner    = tru-id                    
  Version  = 3                         
  Status   = running                   
  Hostname = tru-id-guestbook.fly.dev  

Instances
ID      	PROCESS	VERSION	REGION	DESIRED	STATUS 	HEALTH CHECKS      	RESTARTS	CREATED              
b869bf69	app    	3      	lhr   	run    	running	1 total, 1 critical	0       	2022-04-07T08:43:55Z

I’m restarting them now but I’d like to understand why this happens and I have no logs to be able to tell what’s going on and both app statuses are green.

It may show a bit more detail about what happened if you try fly vm status abcdefgh (replacing abcdefgh with the ID of your vm of course: the ID shown in the first column of the Instances table). That command shows per-vm rather than per-app status, with the results of healthchecks and recent events. So it might say a check failed or out of memory, or something along those lines.

Thank you @greg I’ll keep it in mind for the next time, now I had to restart them cause I wanted the apps to be online.

If I look at the dashboard it shows that the memory was stable for the past few days.

Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 14.49.06

To be honest yes it would be great to understand what happened but what’s even more important is the fact that it shouldn’t happen :grimacing:

2 Likes