Please bring Redis back

I spoke with @kurt some weeks ago and he mentioned Fly was planning to phase out the included Redis. It’s not even in the docs anymore…

I totally get that I can create a Fly app with Redis on it, but it was so damn convenient to just add a REDIS_URL env var to my app and be done with it.

I also get that giving Redis for free is not a sustainable model, but why not make it a paid service like you do with the certificates or IPs?

Pretty please? :sob:

1 Like

We hear ya. Postgres is our first foray into managed databases, but after that we’d like to offer others, redis being one. Until then the keydb launcher is a quick way to get a private HA redis cluster. The shared redis will stick around for a while, at least until we have a seamless replacement.

1 Like

it was so damn convenient to just add a REDIS_URL env var to my app and be done with it.

100%

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, there are two things at play here:

1. We shouldn’t be building multitenant shared databases, it’s not what we’re good for!
  2. People have discovered this pattern of running one VM per region and doing caching in memory

#2 is really interesting to me, because not using redis is a great simplifier for some apps. It’s one less thing to break. In app caching is fast, simple, easy to test, etc.

2 Likes

This is what I ended up doing.

I’d really prefer to pay you every month so you can manage Redis for me!

3 Likes

FWIW my Fly app is written in Go and I do in memory caching w/ golang-lru. The app also calls a Heroku hosted Redis server for reporting various metrics. So personally I never considered using the built-in Fly Redis instance. There’s no shortage of existing third party hosting providers.

2 Likes