Issues with DNS and fly.io

Hi all!,

I’m having trouble that I can’t debug with the DNS for my website running on fly.io, the real issue is the website works for me, but not for anyone else.

The website is https://volumecycles.com. I have both the root and the www subdomain configured.

I originally had the domain nameservers going through CloudFlare, but in an effort to debug I moved the nameservers back to Google Domain for the simpler setup.

I followed all the instructions in the docs and did all the same things I’ve done for other webapps. The certificates page in the Dashboard says everything is setup properly, and as I said the site does work for me, but when I share it others can’t access the link with DNS Probe Failed errors.

Any ideas? Thanks!

1 Like

It looks like your DNS servers for volumecycles.com return an AAAA (IPv6) record but no A (IPv4) record. Most people don’t have IPv6 internet access, but you probably do, which would be why it works for you.

1 Like

Holy shit you’re right, for some reason I was (foolishly) thinking because it was working in the dashboard and working for me that I didn’t need the IPv4 records and that the IPv6 was somehow going to be backwards compatible.

I guess this is the first time I’ve done this with a webapp that actually supports IPv6 instead of just pretending it doesn’t exist, haha.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.