DNS resolution issues for fly.dev

Been running without issues for a while now. App is still running but for some reason my page isn’t loading anything.

Joshua-cgm.fly.dev

1 Like

Our DNS host seems to be having resolution issues from some places. We’re in contact with them, but they don’t know what’s up yet.

Thanks for the info.

Any idea how long it will take to resolve?

This is, unfortunately, one of the few parts of the infrastructure we don’t run. So not really!

Your app is working fine, so if you have another domain laying around, you can point it at your app IPs directly (fly ips list).

You’ll need to create both an A and and AAAA record to get certificates (ipv6) if you do this.

Why not use 2 or more different nameserver providers for fly.dev? It looks like it should work: Can one have multiple name servers that don't all belong to the same TLD/provider? - Server Fault

Is this still happening?

I can’t seem to get to my running application using the assigned fly.dev host I have for it. Just a host not found from traceroute, but it’s able to find the top level fly.dev host just fine.

❯ traceroute fly.dev
traceroute to fly.dev (77.83.140.34), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
❯ traceroute [my app name].fly.dev
traceroute: unknown host [my app name].fly.dev

When testing this there was an app deployed, running, and listening on the correct internal_port. Nothing in the logs to indicate there’s any traffic being routed to the listening port or that there’s a configuration issue, so I’m a bit stumped why it’s not resolving.

Just to document it here – I had to add an ipv4 address because I guess the ipv6 ones can’t be used for dns resolution?

I would’ve assumed it was routed internally, but I guess not and so I needed to allocate/pay for an ipv4. Maybe something else changed outside of my control, but hopefully it can help someone in the future.