I dont understand free-tier !??

Hello i’m new in fly.io, i deploy rails app for my personal project here but i don’t understand what’s is free-tier and the difference with heroku.
The documentation is not very clear …

• When i create my postgresql database, what is free ? the 256mb ?

• How many ram i can select in free-tier ?
    Capture d’écran 2022-05-13 à 14.32.30

• Can we limit ressources for free-tier ? i dont see this option like in heroku …

I think i will take premium in fly.io because its a really amazing plateform but for moment i’m just in my development of my futur rails apps without user :slight_smile:

Thanks you.

The free tier lets you make up to 3 vms of the smallest type. So yes, the shared-cpu-256mb ones.

And it includes up to 3GB of storage.

So if you make a development database using 256mb, that would use 1/3 of your 256mb vm allowance. And when it asks how big to make the volume, choose either 1/2/3 GB. As you have a limit of 3GB of storage for free.

You then have two out of your three vm allowance remaining. And so you could deploy an app using one shared-cpu-256mb vm. I think that is the default.

And you would not want to enable any scaling/auto-scaling (well beyond a max of two vms) for that app. Else it could exceed the total free allowance (of three vms). So resources (apart from bandwidth) are automatically limited (by the fact you have not assigned them to be used).

1 Like

Is
2,340 hours per month of shared cpu 1x time same in following cases?

1. Run 3 shared-cpu-1x VMs with 256MB RAM full time.

2. one 512MB RAM and one 256MB RAM full time?

if yes, does it mean that I can run one instance of 512MB RAM and one instance of 256MB ram under free tier?

Good question!

This answer makes me think yes (and logically 512mb+256mb === 256mb+256mb+256mb) but you may want to wait for confirmation:

This is true

This is not quite right. The 512MB RAM VM would create costs as you’d have an extra 256MB (256MB base + 256MB extra) and we’d bill for the extra. We bill memory per VM.

Also thanks @greg for helping out :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello,

Migrating an app from a free Heroku dyno, I’m very happy with the fly services and dashboard but quite disappointed by the free tier offer: it’s so obvious that most people need one 512mb VM more than three 256mb VMs…

Could we expect a change in policy ?

That’s the reason it isn’t in the free tier. :wink:

Make a 256mb swap space, if you’re okay with it: Swap memory - #2 by OldhamMade