fly.io dns responds with released dedicated ip v4

Hi,
I followed the guid for moving from a dedicated ip v4 address to the shared ip. Having done that, and released the dedicated ip, I thought I’d be good.
My app is kort.dommerapp.no
I have a cname entry for my custom domain pointing to kortglad.fly.dev
When I do an nslookup I get this:

nslookup kort.dommerapp.no
Server: 139.112.1.30
Address: 139.112.1.30#53

Non-authoritative answer:
kort.dommerapp.no canonical name = kortglad.fly.dev.
Name: kortglad.fly.dev
Address: 66.241.125.213
Name: kortglad.fly.dev
Address: 137.66.11.132

Seems to me that fly’s nameservers still responds with both the old dedicated ip and the new shared ip. This causes problems for some clients that tries to connect to the dedicated ip, as that is released and will respond with 404.

Is there any way to fix the fly.dev entry for me? Or do I need fly ops to purge it?

Found this old forum post from 2020, suggesting that releasing a dedicated IP should in fact update the fly.dev dns, which obviously did not happen in my case What happens when you remove a dedicated IP? - #5 by kurt. so, is it a bug then?

Hey @mortenag

Thanks for the report, it’s indeed a bug. We are looking at it.

1 Like

Great @pavel, will you fix the issue for my dns entry, as well? As I guess the bug fix won’t retroactively fix this?

The bug fix will be retroactive since this was an issue with our state replication system. We are currently working through restarts, this should be fixed in a few minutes.

Just wanted to ask if this is related to the issue im facing

“Error: expected 1 A records for 15m-vm.fly.dev., got 2”

I provisioned a ipv4 for the wrong app and quickly released it (15m-vm)

@vasallius

Yeah, it’s possible. I think it should work now:

❯ dig +short @9.9.9.9 15m-vm.fly.dev

Thank you, works now! to be honest, i don’t know what your reply meant and i was wondering if you could explain to me, thanks again!

Just that now only one IP address is returned for your app (as expected).

Before the bug was fixed, released dedicated IPv4 and IPv6 addresses were still returned by the DNS server, that’s why flyctl complained that it expected only 1 address, but got 2 in the DNS reply.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.