I haven’t been able to access the site I created for about a week. During some update there must have been some issue creating the A record for it. I tried destroying the app and waiting it out to see if it would resolve on its own, but it doesn’t seem like it. Here’s what the doctor says:
Testing authentication token... PASSED Testing flyctl agent... PASSED Testing local Docker instance... PASSED Pinging WireGuard gateway (give us a sec)... PASSED App specific checks for tileset-explorer: Checking that app has ip addresses allocated... PASSED Checking A record for tileset-explorer.fly.dev... Nope These IPs are missing from the tileset-explorer.fly.dev. A record: 126.96.36.199 This likely means we had an operational issue when we tried to create the record. Post in https://community.fly.io/ or send us an email if you have a support plan, and we'll get this fixed
There isn’t much I can do other than use another name, but that’s not a good solution.