Creating a cert for an IPv4-only DNS name not working

Hello, I’m testing out my first app on fly.io and I’m struggling to get some DNS/certificates working. flyctl keeps reporting “Awaiting configuration” for my IPv4-only DNS A record.

I have my app deployed (e.g. my-app.fly.dev) and it works. what I’m trying to do is setup 3 domains to point to my app

1. myapp.example.com → CNAME to my-app.fly.dev
  2. v4.myapp.example.com → A record to IP of my app
  3. v6.myapp.example.com → AAAA record to IP of my app

I was able to issue and use a cert (using flyctl cert add/show) for myapp.example.com and for v6.myapp.example.com. However, for the IPv4-only one, flyctl isn’t working. It keeps reporting that it’s awaiting configuration. I’ve waited at least 10 minutes, DNS looks correct.

Is the flyctl certs command only checking for AAAA records to validate that it’s setup correctly? My use case is that I want to only access the app over IPv4 when accessed with that domain, so I don’t want to add an AAAA record. Should I add, let flyctl see it, and then remove the record? Or is there something else I’m missing?

Thanks

flyctl certs check v4.myapp.example.com
The certificate for v4.myapp.example.com has not been issued yet.
You are creating a certificate for v4.myapp.example.com
We are using Let’s Encrypt for this certificate.

You can configure your DNS for v4.myapp.example.com by:

1: Adding an CNAME record to your DNS service which reads:

CNAME v4.myapp. my-app.fly.dev

1 Like

Use the second option for domain validation and add a _acme-challenge CNAME example.com.XyZ2.flydns.net. instead the first option of adding a AAAA record.
See the second option in the output of flyctl certs check ... for the exact string to add as CNAME.

This works for me with a wildcard domain “*.example.ch”. Validation may take a few minutes. In one case, it took 10+ min until a domain was signed after I had added the _acme-challenge CNAME... .

Aha, perfect. Using a wildcard worked. For whatever reason I didn’t think to try that. Thanks for your help!