Confusion about billing: "SSD Storage"?

Hello!

We moved our application over to Fly.io roughly a month ago. As it is an app which is currently in a beta-phase where there are not many users, it can easily run within the free 3x ‘shared-cpu-1x’ which Fly provides. As such, we did not expect to have any costs for November.

However, just now we did receive a credit card receipt containing costs for what is described as “Volume: SSD Storage (per GB/hr)”.

What exactly is this? The pricing page does not seem to mention it. It does mention “persistent volumes”, but this seems to be something else. (And we have not added any persistent volumes to our Fly cluster).

The usage tab of the Fly web-interface (e.g. Sign In · Fly ) also does not mention this metric.

Thank you,

~Marten / Qqwy

Hi @qqwy

AFAIK “Volume: SSD Storage (per GB/hr)” is billing for persistent volumes.

Did you possibly create a volume then delete it?

You can check for volumes still in use by using the fly volumes list --app <app name> command.

This is, indeed, the persistent volume line item. Are you running Postgres? When you create a postgres cluster it creates two persistent volumes.

Thank you both for your help :slight_smile:

$ flyctl volumes list
No Volumes Defined for oberx

I see! That probably explains the price then. Indeed, when running flyctl volumes list --app name-of-my-database two volumes can be seen.

I think that the discoverability of this information might be improved. Maybe the list of persistent volumes (including their monthly price) could be added to the ‘usage’ page?

And as the app was made initially by following the elixir getting started guide to the letter, I was a bit surprised to see that the resulting cluster would go over the capabilities available in the free plan. It might be worthwhile to mention this in the guide, or at least make it very clear on the ‘pricing’ page that the ‘free tier’ does not include a managed postgres database.

What do you think? :blush:

1 Like

As an Elixir-Phoenix developer using fly.io, I have been finding fly.io’s pricing info very scattered around the documentation and therefore very hard to follow and understand for a new user, For instance, It would have been helpful if it clearly explained upfront the default Postgres configuration used for the database backend, and how the user can reduce the SSD volume, memory, CPU, etc. I am still figuring out how to change these configurations while paying for resources that my app never used.

1 Like