Cannot deploy due to Docker error

When deploying my app, I see:

=> copy /context /                                                                                                                                                                                             1.4s
 => ERROR [internal] load metadata for docker.io/library/node:16-alpine                                                                                                                                        51.0s
------
 > [internal] load metadata for docker.io/library/node:16-alpine:
------
Error failed to fetch an image or build from source: error building: failed to solve with frontend dockerfile.v0: failed to create LLB definition: failed to do request: Head "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/library/node/manifests/16-alpine": dial tcp 52.72.252.48:443: i/o timeout

I assumed it could be full storage on my remote deploy box, since that frequently fills up, so I deleted it and tried again. Same error.

Haven’t hit this before and no recent changes to my toml or application.

Note I am deploying with --remote-only

It looks like docker hub is timing out for the builder. Retrying should help.

We just rolled out a docker hub mirror to help mitigate these types of issues. What’s the name of your builder? I want to see what region it’s in and what version of the builder it’s using.

Thanks! My builder is fly-builder-restless-breeze-191

Sorry for the trouble. We’re looking into some networking issues in Seattle. You can watch here for updates. Fly.io Status - Connectivity failures in the Seattle region

I got the exact same error today trying to deploy a new app.

Error failed to fetch an image or build from source: error building: failed to solve with frontend dockerfile.v0: failed to create LLB definition: docker.io/hexpm/elixir:1.13.4-erlang-25.0.3-debian-bullseye-20210902-slim: not found

My builder is fly-builder-purple-frost-7412

I got the same error today, fresh Phoenix app following the Fly.io guide.

I looked up the default tag 1.13.4-erlang-25.0.4-debian-bullseye-20210902-slim on Docker Hub and saw that it didn’t exist. Updating my Dockerfile to point to 1.13.4-erlang-25.0.4-debian-bullseye-20220801-slim instead allowed me to fly deploy.

1 Like

\

Same for me and thanks for the fix pointer!

I got this error a bit earlier:
ERROR [internal] load metadata for docker.io/hexpm/elixir:1.13.4-erlang-25.0.4-debian-bullseye-2021090

And this warning during the setup flow:
We recommend upgrading to Phoenix 1.6.3 which includes a release configuration for Docker-based deployment.

But it seems like I have Phoenix 1.6.11 so that seems pretty outdated.

Huh, guess I spoke too soon.

I had to update to
1.14.0-erlang-25.0.4-debia-bullseye-20220801-slim

but I still got this error I can’t quite figure out yet:
Error error building: failed commit on ref “layer-sha256:1efc276f4ff952c055dea726cfc96ec6a4fdb8b62d9eed816bd2b788f2860ad7”: “layer-sha256:1efc276f4ff952c055dea726cfc96ec6a4fdb8b62d9eed816bd2b788f2860ad7” failed size validation: 0 != 31366757: failed precondition

I guess it didn’t pull properly, but it’s taking a while (maybe too long) and I’m not quite sure where they’re going so not sure how to check.

oh! Debian is also missing, updating to:
debian:stable-20220801-slim
seems to have unlocked some progress

Same issue here, trying to deploy a freshly generated Phoenix app.

[+] Building 1.7s (4/4) FINISHED
 => [internal] load remote build context                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        0.0s
 => copy /context /                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             0.1s
 => [internal] load metadata for docker.io/library/debian:bullseye-20220801-slim                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                0.9s
 => ERROR [internal] load metadata for docker.io/hexpm/elixir:1.14.0-erlang-25.0-debian-bullseye-20220801-slim

It looks like that tag is gone from Docker Hub: Docker Hub