Are app names in a global namespace?

I assumed there would be a namespace per organisation, seems odd to have names reserved globally

Hi @thattommyhall

I believe that is because fly.io is generating public url’s for your application that needs to be unique globally.

But I believe that’s wrong way to deal with it.

Today my situation

flyctl launch  - this is working
flyctl deploy - this is failing with "Error failed to fetch an image or build from source: error building: failed to solve with frontend dockerfile.v0: failed to create LLB definition: dockerfile line greater than max allowed size of 65535"

The only way for me to deploy is to delete old one and use launch command again to create. I don’t know whether i will get the same subdomain or not when I relaunch it.

I came here to post about that and saw this, so replying.

@ekanna can you post your Dockerfile? This appears unrelated to the namespace issue. Indeed, app names must be globally unique. Most organizations will solve this by prefixing the app name with a short identifier like ab-appname.

1 Like

I am using Apple M1 MacBook Pro. Here is my docker file.

FROM scratch
COPY target/x86_64-unknown-linux-musl/release/ewapi /ewapi
EXPOSE 8080
ENTRYPOINT ["/ewapi"]

Lol it would make way more sense if when they made the automatic URL it would add the username for example, so it would be [appname]-[username]@hostname.com or some other kind of user id.