Namespace fly app names

I am a bit surprised to realize that Fly app names are global, like Heroku. It undermines the purpose of organizations in my mind :confused: . Today for example given an app name of mammoth we would get the URL of https://mammoth.fly.dev. Yet, we have secured an organization name on the Fly platform, so, why is that not reflected in the URL? For example my organization is prisma so I would expect mammoth.prisma.fly.dev.

On the one hand this is a micro issue easily solved with some convention that other teams won’t use, on the the other its a product gap and paper cut that is inconsistent with how thoughtful and nice the rest of the platform typically is to use (big fan so far!).

Yeah. This is a thing we tried before we became successful, and now it’s very hard to change.

The most likely fix for this is going to be picking a “base” app domain separately from picking the organization. Organization slugs won’t work well for this because you can’t change them and are at the mercy of the name generator.

5 Likes

Thanks for the explanation!

Ditto to this. A sister issue is that if I drop a fly.toml into an open source project, the app name is a gotcha in plain site. If someone were to naively run flyctl deploy in the project, they would slam into the name being used already.

Is there a suggested pattern for a fly.toml that gets distributed to others? Do I wrap it in scripts to somehow create a stable unique name for other users?