Tokyo location block outbound connection to google

Hi,
I got 2 applications in Tokyo location: one is phoenix, the other is rails
Both use google oauth2 as the authentication layer (to be precise rails uses omniauth-google-oauth2 , phoenix uses ueberauth_google).
Rails got timeout when requesting google oauth service but phoenix does not
I was remote to the rails docker container and a simple Net::HTTP.get_response(URI('http://google.com')) resulted in timeout too.
The thing is deploying the same rails app in Singapore works. My questions are:

1. Is there any proxy in Japan stand in the way
  2. If yes why is the phoenix app able to reach out google

Thank you

That’s a really good question! I’m not exactly sure what could be this driving behavior, but I can weigh in on your two questions.

1. All inbound traffic is routed to your app by our proxy, which takes traffic on the edge and directs it to the host where your VM lives.
  2. It’s hard to definitively why your phoenix app is able to reach google but your rails app isn’t. It’s possible that there is an issue with traffic along its route, if the two VMs are situated in different locations within the region.

To get more information for 2) it could be useful to log in to both instances (ie broken rails and working phoenix vms) and run a traceroute to google on each.

Is the rails app still around? It’d be useful to know which apps you’ve been testing on so we can look into this, too.

1 Like

Popping back in to let you know we found the end to this mystery :sweat_smile:

We had some issues yesterday with outbound IPv6 from that region-- we reached out to our provider for a fix, which also rolled out yesterday. Please let us know if you see this moving forward!

Thank you @eli,
It works for me now

1 Like