Hi Fly team!
I’m applying for the Support Engineer role and went through some of the tutorials as well as part of the documentation. I thought I would document some of the issues I encountered along the way. I’m aware that keeping docs up-to-date is a huge task. So, I hope I can make a small contribution here.
- There seems to be no current guide on setting up tab completion. I’m not particularly good at typing, so, tab completion was the first thing I was missing once I started using Fly. Fortunately, it’s pretty straightforward to set up. There’s is an explanation here at Fly Friday - News and Tips · Fly
It mentions a now non-existent
-cflag, though. However, as I happily discovered,
completionhas been promoted to a ‘first-class’ fly command in the meantime.
- At Build, Deploy & Run a Node Application
under Viewing the Deployed App, it says to use the
infocommand, but in the CLI snippet,
- At Build, Deploy And Run A Python Application
it says to run a command including a requirements.txt. How to create this file isn’t explained (it can be done with
pip freeze > requirements.txt). Moreover, the deploy fails, but this has already been covered here
- At Metrics on Fly, the curl command is missing a
query=in front of the encoded query string.
- At Scaling and Autoscaling, the command
flyctl scale vm showappears to not exist anymore. Likely, because
flyctl scale showalready provides very similar info?
I’m hoping this proves to be helpful in one way or another! I already submitted my worksheet questions today and am really looking forward to the result.