Making a different app machine my free builder

I currently have a machine running under a personal plan. This machine is only allocated 228 MB - where as I have another machine (that I do not / never used), that has the 4GB “Free Builder” plan.

I am wondering if I can somehow apply the Free Builder plan to the machine I actually use?

Edit: I deleted the Free Builder plan machine because I never used it. I now no longer have access to a free builder plan.

I believe the free builder is dedicated to building your docker images, not hosting the app itself.

I also believe a new free builder is provisioned so long as you don’t deploy with --local-only.

1 Like

No. Free Builder machines are for building container images and we are assuming customers are not building images 24/7. We have some guardrails that prevent customers to use the builder machines for something else.

Regarding the lack of it, fly deploy should provision a new one if you don’t have it (or you removed it).

1 Like

Hey Kaz, thank you for the quick reply. That clears up my confusion (for the most part). That said, I am still new to hosting on machines. May I ask you some questions?

Background: I am currently running a discord bot on a free-plan machine. Responses from OpenAI streaming are… slow. Upwards of 30 seconds from the time a message is sent to a response from OpenAI. I assume this is because Openai needs to wait for the message to be streamed in letter-by-letter, but it could also be the server’s capabilities resulting in long response times.

1. Would upgrading to a paid VM help speed up my responses (enough to be noticeable), or is this a limitation by openai’s text streaming?

2. For when I do upgrade my plan, do you recommend any specific plan/machine/etc. that can help my discord bot’s performance?

Thank you again for your support.

Edit: Here is a picture showing my current usage

I do think OpenAI is the bottleneck here, not Fly.io. That said, you can scale up your machines to confirm whether the machines are the bottleneck or not.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.