Convert a recently converted V1 to V2 app to a free Remote Builders app

Hi all,

So, I’ve just recently migrated my old nomad V1 Dockerfile driven .NET app (just a hello world app to support a blog post) to V2 using the command line tool.

I added a credit card and noticed that I needed to do some extra things to ensure that this will cost as little as possible.

I will explain that later for anyone else that needs it but at some point I saw the following callout and wondered if I can now convert my V2 app to be a completely free “Remote Builder” app?

Remote Builders

Remote builders are machines that build your app when deploying without a local Docker daemon or when using --remote-only.

So what's better about them?
They're free
They're private to each organization, these are not shared which allows for layers reuse for your builds
They run on Fly, like any other app, except they're ephemeral
They use our volumes feature to cache Docker layers
They turn off automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity
We're proxying Docker connections to a Docker daemon running inside a VM on Fly

The page on .NET does not suggest that by following the instructions would create one of these free Remote Builder apps.

Can anyone advise?

Anyway. During the upgrade I had 10 machines and one running all the time which would have cost a fortune so here is what I had to do to get it as small as possible:

[processes]
  app = "shared-cpu-1x"  # the smallest cheapest one. use fly scale memory 256 to keep low and fly scale show to check

[[services]]
  protocol = "tcp"
  internal_port = 5000
  auto_stop_machines = true  # Automatically stop machines when idle
  auto_start_machines = true  # Automatically start machines based on demand
  min_machines_running = 0  # Keep zero machines running when idle
  processes = ["app"]

[services.concurrency]
    type = "connections"
    hard_limit = 1  # Set to 1 to minimize resource usage
    soft_limit = 1  # Set to 1 to minimize resource usage
fly scale vm shared-cpu-1x
fly scale memory 256
fly scale show

The remote builder machine is used internally by flyctl when you run fly deploy. You can’t manually create them.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.