Invited team member to org account. Now asking to add CC?!?

Hi

We recently signed up with Fly. I created an org with an “admin” account from our company. After that, I invited team members to the org. From the admin account, I added a CC for billing.

I then logged out and accepted the invitation on my own email account. All good. I am in and part of the org team as an admin.

I invited our CTO as an admin to the org as well, but he wasn’t able to use the org as it kept asking him to add a CC to verify him. What is this? Is there no centralised billing on Fly? Will other team mates have to add their CCs to a company paid service?

Can someone please shed some light here.

Hi!

No this is not needed.

This might be a UX problem rather than a billing issue.

When you created/logged in with your personal account your perhaps saw your personal organization (on our dashboard it can be /dashboard, /dashboard/personal or /dashboard/PERSONAL_SLUG) and that could have warranted you to add CC.

Can you verify that if you use the organization selector at the left bar in the dashboard and go to the company org you wont be seeing billing requests? Also when using our CLI you can use fly launch --org COMPANY_SLUG to see if you can launch things properly.

In case those are not the cases, can you describe to me (if possible with URLs or mentions of which commands you ran on flyctl) so I can help you further?

Hi Lubien

Thanks for replying.

Here’s a screenshot of my CTO’s dashboard. You can see the organisation top left (correct) and the request for payment method at the top

This screenshot is of the admin user (used to create the Fly account)

Notice that for the admin user, the organisation shows up as “Personal”, even though it’s the correct org (Sign In · Fly is the URL)

Since this is your admin user personal account looking at that org will indeed show as personal. This is just an alias. For that specific user the slug "personal" == "eventcloud-admin" but for other members they will only be able to use "eventcloud-admin" since they have their own "personal" organizations.

I believe that’s a display issue! From that very same screenshot you can see the Account Status as “Good Standing” and that means the org is billable correctly.

Your CTO should be able to do commands such as fly launch --org eventcloud-admin [...] with no prompts to add a credit card.

I will raise about that display issue to the team!

@eventcloud upon checking more on our logs I think I found why that appeared.

It seems our fraud prevention system unfortunately caught your CTO personal account and marked them to need to do a risk check before they could use their personal organization. That required a pre-auth check to clear the personal organization.

That being said, the CTO should have been still able to use the shared organization, so we will still look into that from an UX perspective.

Thank you @lubien

Since this is your admin user personal account looking at that org will indeed show as personal. This is just an alias. For that specific user the slug "personal" == "eventcloud-admin" but for other members they will only be able to use "eventcloud-admin" since they have their own "personal" organizations.

I think you guys should rethink the UX implications of this as this is confusing (at least to us). The organisation label should show the one you’re actively using.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

Personal organizations used to be very special (only one member and others constraints) but lately we made them a lot like any other organizations so the alias confusion is definitely something we want to think about too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.