How to troubleshoot custom domains?

I am not sure what is going wrong with getting a custom domain to work. I have the domain beyondcommunityaccess.com, and have pointed A & AAAA records to the ipv4 and ipv6 respectively. When I run ‘flyctl certs show’ from this guide (here), I get a very different pritout (only 7 lines long) but it does say that “The certificate for beyondcommunityaccess.com has been issued.”

When I navigate to the site, I just get a blank screen, though the .fly.dev version is deployed fine. I am using google domains.

Any ideas on how to figure out what’s wrong? The changes were made about 3 days ago.

Looks like you’re also being hit by the “IPv6 connection reset by peer” bug, your domain works fine over IPv4.

Can anyone from support look into this?

Hi @Derkness,

I just checked your site and everything seems to be correct. Your ssl certificate is also correct :ok_hand:

A change to a DNS record, for example, changing the IP address defined for a specific hostname, can take up to 72 hours to propagate worldwide.

Clear your cache or simply log in with your browser in incognito mode to verify that everything is working.

Let me know how it goes,
Sergio Turpín

oh my gosh sorry, I didn’t realise that www.beyondcommunityaccess.com was different to beyondcommunityaccess.com. Is there any way for them to both work?

Indeed, I have checked that your dns server does not resolv the www A record.

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.beyondcommunityaccess.com. IN      A

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 172.31.240.1#53(172.31.240.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Dec 23 14:58:51 CET 2022
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 58

Check out Custom Domains and SSL Certificates · Fly Docs to add and accepting traffic to your new host.

Hope that helps,
Sergio Turpín

Adding the hostname via fly certs add www.beyondcommunityaccess.com should make both work for you.

1 Like

Okies I’ve done that. After I add it, flyctl show just says “The certificate for www.beyondcommunityaccess.com has not been issued yet. You can configure your DNS for www.beyondcommunityaccess.com by Adding an CNAME record to your DNS service.” I’ll wait a bit, and see if it clears up, or if I have to do the CNAME thing, or just make a new A/AAAA record to point to the same place from the ‘www.’ version

edit: on the certificates page, it just says “not verified” for the ‘www.’ version, and verified for the version without ‘www.’

edit2: The problem went away when I added an extra A/AAAA record for the ‘www.’ version. Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Indeed, every certificated added needs its own DNS records pointed at your app.

Glad you figured it out!