Can't deploy to another region with volumes

$ fly vol list
ID                  	STATE  	NAME  	SIZE	REGION	ZONE	ENCRYPTED	ATTACHED VM   	CREATED AT
vol_podq4qy18e8vg8w1	created	config	1GB 	sin   	7375	true     	32874974f03285	5 months ago
vol_34008p02qemnx194	created	config	1GB 	lax   	aa42	true     	              	3 minutes ago
vol_xv31ez110dkg1eo4	created	config	1GB 	lax   	0ed3	true     	              	3 minutes ago

$ fly regions add lax
Error: App 'kapybro' uses volumes to control regions. Add or remove volumes to change region placement.
$ fly regions set lax
Error: App 'kapybro' uses volumes to control regions. Add or remove volumes to change region placement.
$

I have created two volumes in a desired region, but it still doesn’t work. No idea on how to proceed.

Any help is appreciated.

Try one of the following (either should work):

I’m probably not the right person to ask. I can’t answer why your machine got into a bad state, all I know is that once it was destroyed (good call, I would have done this too), a new machine needs to be created.

fly regions is apps V1 only, and the only V1 apps left are ones with specific migration needs. All new apps are V2, and nearly all of the apps previously on V1 were migrated.

I generally use fly machine clone, but if you are deploying a larger set of machines, fly scale may be more convenient.

well yeah cloning a machine after cloning the volumes helped, but that’s neither transparent nor obvious on how to achieve this after getting that error message.

Cloning a machine will clone the volumes.

We probably should completely hide the fly regions command. The docs and help indicate that it is is V1 only, but people keep trying it on V2 apps and the results are not helpful.

1 Like

Merged: hide V1 commands by rubys · Pull Request #3104 · superfly/flyctl · GitHub

This will go into the next flyctl release.

1 Like

Cloning a machine will clone the volumes.
Yes, but:

Cloning Machine 5683d906c72248 into region lax
Volume 'pg_data' will start empty

That’s why I have to do this manually.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.