What happens when you allocate a ipv4 address?

Hi! Since apps have a shared ipv4 and ipv6 address, provided I allocate a non shared ipv4 for the app, will it always use that new non shared ipv4? Or will I have to remove the other ip addresses first?

Hi… Just happened to notice…

If your app has a shared IPv4 address and you allocate a dedicated IPv4 address, then the shared IPv4 is released automatically.

https://fly.io/docs/networking/services/#dedicated-ipv4

Hi, it’s says here “If your app has a shared IPv4 address and you allocate a dedicated IPv4 address, then the shared IPv4 is released automatically.”

but upon checking my app, it’s still there

Strange… Do you see them both in fly dig A your-app-name.fly.dev?

yes there are two ip addresses

dig +short @9.9.9.9 1d-vm.fly.dev

response:

I don’t think you can rely on the dedicated address always being used, then.

You can release the unwanted address with fly ips release, but it’s odd that this didn’t happen on its own…

exactly that’s why im quite scared to do anything

should i try to release the ipv4 and allocate again?

or should i just release the shared ipv4

I think I would release the shared IPv4 address only—and then check dig periodically for a day or two afterward.

I was able to contact your server at both IPv4 addresses (using curl --resolve), so it seems likely that the dedicated address is shouldering a share of the traffic already.

gotcha, just to clarify, the dedicated ip is not only for inbound traffic but also outbound right?

so if the box sends requests to some other server elsewhere, it is using the dedicated ipv4 correct?

Only inbound, as I understand it; the gigantic shared-IPv4 announcement thread had the following exchange recently:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.