Use subdomains of my app's fly.dev domain?

Is it possible to set up subdomain of the .fly.dev domain that also point at the IPs of the app? I know in prod it’s likely expected that you just point all the hostnames you need from a “real” domain, but it would make some dev/staging tasks much easier if multiple subs could be provisioned off the dev domain.

1 Like

This would be pretty interesting to do. I’m not sure if it’s easy to make *.<app>.fly.dev work but we’ll have a look.

2 Likes

Hello @kurt

Did you get some results? I need to do the same

2 Likes

+1

Don’t absolutely need to, but it would make the .fly.dev actually useful to experiment without having to commit to configuring a domain name.

Having subdomains enables sharing a single cookie between the different apps of your domain. For example I’m trying to run an authentication server in one app, and the actual site in another app. If app names could contain dots then I’d give the main entry point the name my_experiment and the authentication server for it auth.my_experiment and maybe the api api.my_experiment. All three apps could share one .my_experiment.fly.dev cookie.

3 Likes

any luck on this guys?