sftp put overwrite existing folder

Hi, I like to upload a folder to my volume, I managed to access the directory, but I am not able to “put” a folder to sftp, how can I upload and overwrite existing folder?

» put /users/jimmychen/downloads/content/ /content
put /users/jimmychen/downloads/content/ → /content: file exists on VM

1 Like

I am too would be happy to achieve that with a simple command.

I’ve tried a bunch of workarounds. The approach that worked for me was to use an archiver to pack a folder as a single file. The file then was transferred with sftp and extracted on the server side to a folder.

However, it would be much cooler if sftp shell provided by flyctl command could handle folders natively without jumping through the hoops.

2 Likes

Hi, how do you do this with fly?thanks

The SFTP shell of flyctl isn’t very powerful, it can’t upload directories at all (yet). Some workarounds:

• Create an archive and transfer it as @‍Hypermind suggested. To extract it, you can open a shell using fly ssh console then run the extraction command.

• Use scp/rsync. Downsides: slightly complex to set up the connection (example), and requires scp/rsync to be installed in the app’s VM.

hi, Thanks for your reply, but I don’t see any unzip option?

under sftp shell, when I type
» unzip content.zip
I can this error message

unrecognized command; try ‘cd’, ‘ls’, ‘get’, ‘put’, or ‘chmod’

Thank you

That’s the SFTP shell. You need to exit out of it and open a regular SSH shell using fly ssh console.

I don’t think unzip will be installed by default (it depends on the image you are using), so I suggest switching to tar (or you can install unzip inside the VM). To create a tar archive, you can use tar or 7-zip.

+1 Yes, It would be better if flyctl SFTP shell put command supports overwritting existing files rather than having to ssh console each time to delete a file.

I also really hope this will be implemented in the near future!