Request: Fly IP ranges

yeah filtering based on remote IP address was the goal. I suspect I may be thinking about things wrong though.

Personally, I’d avoid filtering in this way - it’s a layer of security through obscurity doesn’t stop an attacker (anyone can use Fly’s IPs) and could likely result in your app breaking if Fly’s IPs change. Mutual TLS (client certificates validated on the server to be signed by a CA you control) should be more than good enough.

Out of curiosity, are your DBs accessible over IPv6? We’re working on exposing the v6 IPs for a given app through our API, you could use those to keep a firewall updated pretty easily. Those IPs aren’t shared so they’re the only ones I’d use for something like this.

@davidhodge what kind of host are you querying? The holy grail for this would be to bridge from your host into your app with Wireguard and just get it on the same logical private network. We’re working on this. :wink:

1 Like

Yes they are! Or at least I think they are IPV6 accessible. They’re AWS RDS instanced. Count me as very interested in the IPV6 approach

Regarding wireguard… I’m not familiar with that beyond my cursory googling saying it’s a tunnel. Happy to try something in alpha or beta though!

Thanks Ben and Kurt!

Hey,

I was looking for fly’s IP ranges (the equivalent of e.g https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/ips/) and came across this.

Since hosted databases from Azure and AWS don’t support mutual TLS and fly’s own database is still in beta, I wondered whether there had been progress with the proposed IPv6 approach?

How else do people handle this situation of accessing a hosted database or anything with a firewall? Do you have to open it to any IP?

Thanks.

1 Like

We do have a decent example of how to connect to an RDS instance, it runs a wireguard peer + pgbouncer within a VPC: GitHub - fly-apps/rds-connector: Trivial Terraform example for a WireGuard peer to RDS

The best way to do this is to create “gateways” in your Azure or AWS private networks. You make Fly wireguard peers work, or you can run something like Tailscale in your app instances and let it manage all that.

As much as I hate IP allow lists, we might have what you need to use those in a few months. We just need a whole bunch more IPs first.

1 Like

Thanks @kurt I’ll take a look

Thinking about this, yes, IP-allow lists certainly aren’t perfect (as a determined attacker could go via fly, in theory, as discussed).

But the big appeal of them is they remove that one more thing to deal with, at my end (that inevitably decides to stop working at 2am). Whether its an additional vm gateway through which all requests pass, a software process, proxy, etc. It’s something which then needs monitoring and redundancy. As without that thing working, no database access. Big problem.

So personally I’d +1 for IP lists.

(And also given that a certain rival provides the option of assigning an external IP to an app to solve this problem. And I don’t want to give them any more money :slight_smile: )

1 Like

@kurt We have a client who wants to give access to a specific endpoint on their infrastructure. As this is a quick one-off project, nobody wants to setup a system around Wireguard and instead use simple IP whitelisting. Is there a list of ip ranges from the ams region?

There are a lot of IPs these could be in Amsterdam, and they could change at any time. If it gets you unstuck you can use them but your life will be way easier if you find some other way to get this working.

Right now they’ll need to allow:

104.225.98.0/24
145.40.96.0/24
147.75.85.0/24
104.225.98.0/24
147.75.87.0/24

Got it, thanks!

Can I please have a list of IPs for ewr I have this very same issue. The service I am using MUST have have a list of IPs and the ones in the app overview don’t work.

@churcho all the same caveats apply, here are ranges we use in ewr:

139.178.64.0/24
136.144.58.0/24
209.177.145.0/24
199.38.181.0/24
1 Like

Being the novice that I am, this is a bit complex for me. Maybe I should learn terraform! I’m also trying to bridge to Digital Ocean now. Consider this a request to make something that applies to Digital Ocean. Thank you

Hi, can I please get the range for iad and syd? Thank you

2 Likes

Also FRA please

1 Like

Is there a place where one can retrieve these? I need the ones for sea

SIN ip range please ? Thank you

Hello,

Could I get the LHR ranges?

Thanks,
Matt

Any chance we could get the LHR range?