On deploy: "Error An unknown error occured"

I have been having some fun today having deploys failing from CI due to time-outs. Having figured out why, with the help of @kurt (seems to be down to config.yml not persisting across CI builds and so it takes 4-ish minutes to get all the wireguard stuff sorted, by which time it times-out waiting for that), I have retried builds from both CI and from local. Still using a remote builder as I want to get that working.

But both now fail to release with a new issue “An unknown error occurred”. Hmm. Have there been any changes in the past few hours? These would be LHR.

e.g

From CI (after 3 minutes):

deployment-1642455947: digest: sha256:0339cd5515ea156365d8f48167e1a59f52db3f64c2d3f48c8f1def4680fd8678 size: 3042                                                
--> Pushing image done                                                                                                                                           
image: registry.fly.io/name-dev:deployment-1642455947                                                                                                          
image size: 316 MB                                                                                                                                               
==> Creating release                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Error An unknown error occured.                                                                                                                                  

[SYSTEM]                                                                                                                                                         
 Message             Failed to run freestyle step: Deploy to fly  

From local (instant, due to config.yml being present)

ad6b69b54919: Layer already exists 
deployment-1642456646: digest: sha256:919c09abcccd6a26197192e191c4a8e036d0964eb455081fce9b26dda69939e8 size: 3042
--> Pushing image done
image: registry.fly.io/name-dev:deployment-1642456646
image size: 316 MB
==> Creating release
Error An unknown error occured.

Same builder as before, fly-builder-solitary-shape-9303, but that doesn’t seem to be the issue given it does build. Strange.

Using latest fly CLI for both too:
$ fly version
fly v0.0.282 darwin/amd64 Commit: 02c46ec BuildDate: 2022-01-12T17:44:39Z

Is this app scaled to 0 by chance? You may need to run fly deploy --strategy immediate when it’s scaled to 0.

1 Like

Ah ha! Simple as that.

It was indeed. I must have scaled it to zero so long ago I’d forgotten about even doing that as I’ve switched to experimenting with local deploys (this was a different app from earlier).

Thanks!