New Feature: Every public port now allowed for TCP services (this means HTTP too)

We are now allowing any and every public (exposed) ports for Fly services :tada:

A public port is the port you set in your services like:

[[services.ports]]
port = "12345" # <- this guy
handlers = ["http"]

Previously, the list of allowed public ports was limited to:

[25, 53, 80, 443, 853, 5000, 8080, 8443, (10000..10100), 25565, 26257]

This limit is no more.

For example: you can now accept connections on port 22 if you’d like to run a SSH server and not have to specify the port each time you connect!

We don’t yet support port ranges or a list of ports for the same [[services.port]] entry, but we’re working on it.

internal_port is unaffected and it’s always been possible to set it to any port between 1 and 65536.

UDP ports are also unaffected, can still be any and every port between 1 and 65536.

Updating our docs will happen shortly :slight_smile:

We’re still working on this, but it should be stable enough to use.

8 Likes

Nice, thanks. Was just looking into running FTP servers worldwide, this comes at an excellent time.

Will probably have to enumerate a couple thousand port numbers in the absence of a way to specify ranges, but good to know it’s possible :+1:t5:

1 Like

Woohoo! Works great!

Hey @jerome thank you for this update! I have a quick question. I have set up Wireguard and can successfully run ssh root@xxx.internal from my CLI to SSH in to my container, however when I try and do the equivalent with Cyberduck for SFTP, I receive a network error. Does this have to do something with port 22? Or does connecting via SFTP require something different?

I’m trying to connect to a redis container that was created using this tutorial: Redis on Fly

I’d just like to inspect the data in my /data directory using Cyberduck

I don’t know nearly enough about SFTP and Cyberduck.

This isn’t related to the feature we launched. This is for external services, not internal ones :slight_smile:

Does sftp root@xxx.internal work for you?

@jerome apologies - I thought it might be similar, searching for ssh/sftp topics were slim hah! Ok so I just tried sftp from the command line and I receive the following output:

sftp root@encore-bull-redis.internal
Connection to encore-bull-redis.internal closed by remote host.
Connection closed

So I take it that the request is being denied by Fly (aka remote host)?

UPDATE:

Part of the problem was that I had reached my connection limit on my VM, I updated my toml and I see the following error when I view the VM logs now:

• unexpected error: parsing SSH protocol: unhandled type subsystem for Cyberduck
  • unexpected error: parsing SSH protocol: unhandled type simple@putty.projects.tartarus.org using Filezilla