Managed Kafka by Upstash available in private beta

We’re delighted to announce Managed Kafka by Upstash, running on Fly.io infrastructure! Private beta access is available iad and fra regions.

Write to extensions@fly.io with your Fly.io organization name to join. Then, check our getting started docs.

This beta comes with no SLA or uptime guarantees, but Upstash Kafka clusters can be considered production-grade. To predict costs, you’ll soon see usage details in your Fly.io billing dashboard. We won’t charge you until Upstash Kafka exits beta, and you’ll be notified about that.

Upstash for Redis already powers thousands of Redis databases for Fly.io customers. We noticed that Upstash brought pay-as-you-go pricing to Kafka, a service known for its hefty price tag.

We asked Upstash to bring their experience operating Kafka clusters at scale to Fly.io customers. This integration was a breeze, thanks to Upstash’s existing implementation of our Extensions API.

Please leave any questions or feedback here. Upstash and Fly.io are here for you.

4 Likes

So it cost the same as to leaving the hosting to Upstash, against when the servers are hosted within my fly org and I pay for the machines. Why would I want to incur extra cost to keep and manage the fly apps related to that cluster?

Sorry for the confusion. What’s meant here by ‘Fly.io Infrastructure’ is the same as the Upstash Redis case: your databases and clusters are managed by Upstash in their own Fly.io organization. You pay the same price as listed on Upstash’s site.

The reason you’d want this: having everything hosted on Fly.io means low-latency access (same datacenter) and security (no public access to the internet).

1 Like

Thanks. That makes sense. I thought I’d have to own and pay for the compute on fly.io, while paying for usage to upstash as well

Love this.

BTW, is there any plan to introduce Upstash QStash as well?

We’re discussing it. Do you already have a use case for QStash? Would it benefit from a low latency deployment on Fly.io?

with fly.io apps and kafka, i don’t need QStash. I’d go for it in a pure serverless system like lambda

Oh wow! Definitely interested. Emailed!

Upstash Kafka is now in public beta, available to all Fly.io users via fly ext kafka.

Let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

1 Like