Is fly planning instances larger than 8 cores?

Hi!

Is fly planning instances larger than 8 cores? I’ve been investigating using Fly for development images, similar to the idea shared here VS Code - Remote Server over SSH. For building C++ projects 16 and 32 core instances are beneficial, which is what I would typically use on AWS. Understand if this is out-of-scope of Fly’s offerings though.

Thanks,
Leigh

Vaguely! We can theoretically run up to 64 vcpu with our current buildouts. I don’t know how long it’ll take to do that, but it’s useful to hear what you’re wanting to do with them (and how it’s not “mine cryptocurrency with a stolen credit card”).

What regions are you wanting to run VS Code in?

San Jose.

As a development machine.

I frequently use Codespaces lately but I’ve had issues with setting up Docker well in it so I’ve been looking at alternatives. Before Codespaces I used AWS. AWS is cheaper and better CPUs, but it is very inconvenient to stop and start VMs frequently. I’ve been experimenting with Fly because it is much more convenient to use and I was able to get my env setup real fast.

One of the projects I build is a C++ app and it takes about 11 mins to build on an 8 core Fly instance, but only 3 mins on a 16 core Codespace.

I’m really just exploring options at the moment.

The C++ project I’m building that takes 11 mins is GitHub - stellar/stellar-core: stellar-core is the reference implementation for the peer to peer agent that manages the Stellar network. It’s the core validator software for the Stellar network, which is an open network, a blockchain.

However, I’m not mining any crypto on Fly. There is no mining on Stellar. The Stellar network doesn’t provide financial incentives for running validators. I’m definitely only using a legit credit card that hopefully you can verify is in my account already.

1 Like