Failed to start remote builder heartbeat: Couldn't allocate volume, no disks available

Tried to deploy a new version of my app. Got the error below.

> deploy
> fly deploy --remote-only

Update available 0.0.441 -> 0.0.446.
Run "fly version update" to upgrade.
==> Verifying app config
--> Verified app config
==> Building image
WARN Failed to start remote builder heartbeat: Couldn't allocate volume, no disks available (region: vin, size_gb: 50)
Error failed to fetch an image or build from source: error connecting to docker: Couldn't allocate volume, no disks available (region: vin, size_gb: 50)

Have deleted the remote builder twice now…

fly apps destroy fly-builder-nameless-firefly-4305   

and still getting the same error.

hmm, I don’t think that this is expected behavior. It looks similar to an issue from a few days ago:

you might want to initially try updating your flyctl client to the latest version, and destroying the builder, then redeploying the app.

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, then you might also try manually re-deploying the builder to a different region.

At the moment, I would recommend a region besides iad, since there looks to be a networking problem in one of its DCs (Fly.io Status - IAD Network Issue)

In any case, this would entail cloning the current machine on the builder app to a different region (fly machines ls, then fly machines clone --region). After that, you’d want to destroy the original machine and its volume.

If you could send over a screenshot of what you see when visiting debug.fly.dev, that might help us dig into things further

I think this is really, really fixed now. Our last fix was a DB update to disable vin. It turns out, we were re-enabling it with a background process. We’ve now fixed the background process. Barring more naughty background processes, we think this’ll stick this time.

Works now without me doing anything! Thanks guys

I’m getting this error still even after updaing my flyctl client

Will you double check and make sure that’s the exact error you got? It should no longer be possible.

sorry, i had a blank region:

Error failed to fetch an image or build from source: error connecting to docker: Couldn’t allocate volume, no disks available (region: , size_gb: 50)

today, it works. This message may relate to what went on?

$ fly deploy
==> Verifying app config
→ Verified app config
==> Building image
Waiting for remote builder fly-builder-cool-bird-2594… :earth_africa:WARN The running flyctl agent (v0.0.435) is older than the current flyctl (v0.0.447).
WARN The out-of-date agent will be shut down along with existing wireguard connections. The new agent will start automatically as needed.

in any case, it worked now.

1 Like