Error: failed to update VM. You have reached the maximum number of machines for this app.

Hi all,

I am learning how to make a Phoenix app, so I made this fly.io account and added a credit card so I could deploy with the fly cli. However I just tried using fly deploy to update my application, but it fails with:

Running app-name release_command: /app/bin/migrate
 release_command e82de31f7599d8 completed successfully
Updating existing machines in 'app-name' with rolling strategy
 [1/2] Updating 7811377b9d1918 [app]
Error: failed to update VM 7811377b9d1918: You have reached the maximum number of machines for this app.

To unlock more features please add credit to your org (using an admin account) from your billing page:

https://fly.io/dashboard/move/billing

Or contact us at billing@fly.io and we'll take a closer look at your account.

The application also has a Postgress database linked to it (that was very easy to deploy on fly by the way). It was my understanding that on the Hobby plan I was allowed to run 3 VMs, so in my case I think that would be the new Phoenix app, the Postgress database, and the “builder” that was automatically created.

Why can I not update my Phoenix app after the initial deployment? Does fly.io charge for updates? I also tried adding --strategy immediate, which was a tip I saw elsewhere on this forum, but that yielded a similar error. What are my next steps? Do I add credits? Email billing@fly.io? Would love some advice.

Weirdly, I can see the deployment show up in the “Activity” sidebar on the app dashboard. But the app doesn’t actually reflect the changes I deployed (unless I’m deploying wrong?)

I found a way to update the application. It is very inconvenient to do this every time I want to push an update, but it does work.

1. dump postgress database
  2. delete the app, database, and builder
  3. run fly launch again from the cli
  4. restore database dump into the new postgress instance

Hi @movingfly, I think your account is limited, please contact billing@fly.io.

Thanks @dangra for the response, I have emailed billing@fly.io.

1 Like

billing@fly.io got back to me promptly and fixed an issue on their end, now I’m able to deploy with just fly deploy!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.