Deploying with Turboku issues

Hi all,

I recently migrated a monorepository over to Fly.io with Turboku.

However, I can’t figure out how to redeploy my app’s changes with Turboku since I do not have a Fly.toml in my repo.

Does anyone know to to trigger a redeploy with Fly.io if you have migrated from Heroku with Turboku?

I have tried created my own Fly.toml file in my monorepo. It wouldn’t let me create one with the same name as my existing app on my Fly.io dashboard. I was able to create a Fly.toml file with a different name and tried changing the file config name to match my app that is on my Fly.io dashboard in hope that I could then trigger a redeploy with Fly CLI but it errors out at “Verifying app config”. This means I can’t use the “flyctl launch” command in my monorepo.

I would have liked to migrate manually with the Fly CLI but it was unclear how to migrate a monorepositiory but I think I might have shot myself in the foot here.

Any ideas?

If you have migrated from Heroku to Fly.io using Turboku, are you able to still deploy with Heroku? Or have you managed to find out how to deploy with Fly.io, or are you using a different deployment process all together?

Many thanks

We don’t have great docs on this, I don’t think, but Turboku is designed to just mirror your Heroku app.

If you want to deploy directly to Fly, you’ll need to get the app ready to deploy to Fly directly. The best way to do this is to run fly launch (with no fly.toml) and create a staging app.

If you’re getting errors that don’t make any sense from fly launch, just post them here and someone might have an idea.

1 Like

Hi Kurt,

Thanks so much - I’ll give that a try!

@pippop there’s a full guide at Migrate from Heroku · Fly Docs for how to launch your app, migrate your DB, and run your app 100% on Fly.

There’s a cheat sheet at Migrate from Heroku · Fly Docs that goes into the differences between how Heroku works v Fly.

What is the answer to the initial question? Both @pippop and @Brad’s solutions aim to launch the app directly on Fly.io rather than using the Turboku feature.

Surely you’re supposed to be able to RE-DEPLOY your Heroku app and not show the first version deployed?

I don’t recommend using Turboku if you plan on permanently running your applications on Fly.io. Turboku has more moving parts in terms of how it integrates with Heroku that you can read about under “Taking Stock” at Turbocharge your Heroku Apps with New Turboku · The Fly Blog.

If your goal is to move applications off Heroku and on-to Fly.io I recommend reading the guide at Migrate from Heroku · Fly Docs and cutting as many Heroku dependencies as you can.

Directly answering the question requires an “it depends where your code is hosted”, which can be confusing. A lot of Heroku apps live on Heroku’s git repo. If that’s the case, you’ll need to move your repo from Heroku to Github, Bitbucket, etc. so your code has a new home. Once that’s done, you can follow the migration guide to get your app completely on Fly.io.

In summary, if your plan is to accelerate an existing Heroku app, use Turboku. If your plan is to migrate from Heroku to Fly.io permanently, follow the steps in the migration guide at Migrate from Heroku · Fly Docs