context deadline exceeded is back :/

I can no longer build using the remote builder, it always fails with:
Error failed to fetch an image or build from source: error connecting to docker: failed building options: failed probing “umi”: context deadline exceeded

The builder name is fly-builder-floral-water-2397

Resetting the builder and Wireguard connections has no effect.

This used to be caused by the slow propagation of wireguard peers … but Fly fixed that. Hmm.

It may be a temporary issue Fly will be aware of and be fixing, however it’s worth seeing if using websockets on their CLI helps. Just in case it’s a network issue at your end that’s blocking the default UDP:

fly version update (get the latest version, or however you prefer to do that)
fly wireguard websockets enable
fly deploy (or the command you want to run)

Any improvement?

If not, what does the fly doctor report?

2 Likes

You were right, my university’s network was disrupting the connection.

1 Like

So, having issues today with various things and fly doctor was super helpful. I ran fly wireguard reset and all my deployment and postgres proxy to localhost went away! Thank you Doctor (and your helpful post!)

@BenFifthHour are you in a different country than you were previously? Or using a VPN? Your wireguard peers are all over the place. It would definitely make things weird if your previous one was far away from you.

@kurt thanks for your response. no, sadly not travelling, just here in the UK, in one (rainy!) place. No VPN active at all. I have been proxying a connection from my postgres instance to my local machine as well as accessing that same postgres instance from a fly app. But I’m in heavy early development so using the same test data is useful. Let me know if that is not a recommended practice. new to concepts like wireguard and proxies of connections to localhost etc.

Thanks again, fly ROCKS by the way. the simplicity is glorious and conscious i may F things up occasionally, your help is appreciated.

@BenFifthHour You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I’m in the UK too. Same: pesky rain!

Just to say for future searchers, when this reared it’s head again (context deadline exceeded) I updated flyctl using fly version update and the error went away.

Cheers all

2 Likes