Can't pull swift:5.6-focal image

Hi! I encounter an issue where a Dockerfile that pulls the swift:5.6-focal image fails with the following error:

==> Building image with Docker
--> docker host: 20.10.12 linux x86_64
Sending build context to Docker daemon  20.75kB
[+] Building 1.0s (4/4) FINISHED
 => [internal] load remote build context                                                  0.0s
 => copy /context /                                                                       0.1s
 => ERROR [internal] load metadata for docker.io/library/swift:5.6-focal                  1.0s
 => CANCELED [internal] load metadata for docker.io/library/ubuntu:focal                  1.0s
------
 > [internal] load metadata for docker.io/library/swift:5.6-focal:
------
Error error building: failed to solve with frontend dockerfile.v0: failed to create LLB definition: unexpected status code [manifests 5.6-focal]: 500 Internal Server Error

This is an issue I didn’t enounter before. I also noticed I am able to build other Dockerfiles just fine, but this one and others are failing, it seems like this is dependent on the base image.

Do you have any suggestions? Thank you

Do you get the same error at the same place when retrying? It seems like docker might be getting a 500 from docker hub.

It always happens at the same moment yeah, I reproduced it in a super simple repo with a one line Dockerfile and the default fly.toml file generated by fly launch.

Here is the output:

? Select region: fra (Frankfurt, Germany)
Created app black-feather-457 in organization personal
Wrote config file fly.toml
? Would you like to set up a Postgresql database now? No
? Would you like to deploy now? Yes
Deploying black-feather-457
==> Validating app configuration
--> Validating app configuration done
Services
TCP 80/443 ⇢ 8080
Remote builder fly-builder-weathered-wildflower-2423 ready
==> Creating build context
--> Creating build context done
==> Building image with Docker
--> docker host: 20.10.12 linux x86_64
Sending build context to Docker daemon  13.04kB
[+] Building 0.8s (3/3) FINISHED
 => [internal] load remote build context                                                  0.0s
 => copy /context /                                                                       0.0s
 => ERROR [internal] load metadata for docker.io/library/swift:5.6-focal                  0.9s
------
 > [internal] load metadata for docker.io/library/swift:5.6-focal:
------
Error error building: failed to solve with frontend dockerfile.v0: failed to create LLB definition: unexpected status code [manifests 5.6-focal]: 500 Internal Server Error

Do you have Docker running locally? If so (or you’re willing to install it), fly deploy --local-only might help.

This error is hard to debug. It looks a lot like Docker Hub itself is serving errors.

Thanks! I see the build process works normally when building locally (the only concrete issue would be that it would take too long to upload the image to fly with my current connection).

What’s surprising is that other images (node:16 for instance) work fine on Fly. I recently read about you guys having deployed a Docker mirror, could it be that for more common images the builder is able to default to the mirror?

I also wonder if deleting the builder would have any chance to help? (edit: tried it, didn’t change anything)

Hi! Unfortunately the issue is still present today which makes me wonder if Docker Hub really is the cause? If it was, wouldn’t it also make it impossible to build locally?

Issue has been solved! On the forums, I see someone else encountered it today and it has been solved for them as well.

Yes it’s been fixed. We had an issue with our docker hub mirror that prevented new layers from getting pulled in a few regions. That’s why node:16 worked while another didn’t. Sorry for the trouble!

1 Like

Thank you for the quick fix!