A couple of pricing questions

I am curious about a couple of things that aren’t too clear on the pricing page:

• how does memory size affect the number of seconds used on the free tier? I am mostly just curious, I am assuming some kind of multiplier (eg one at 512MB and one at 256MB would count as the three).
  • I see a button to purchase credits, how do they work? Do I need to do that? Is there a minimum? Is it better (I would guess it’s better for fly.io wrt CC/Stripe fees)? Can I set them to refill automatically as the credit is consumed? I don’t mind paying up front just looking to understand.

As an aside, I’ve spent a couple of days spelunking the docs and hanging out here and I like what I see so far! The dev team is hanging out here, helping, answering questions etc and bug fixes are being deployed as I watch (love that you’re building in the open). The kicker for me was the 13 year old that got help the other day, such a nice thing to do.

Memory size is an additional charge, we should probably split that out into its own section. The free tier instances include 256MB of RAM, and adding more RAM gets billed at ~$5/mo.

The credit system is for people who don’t want us to autobill their card. If you’re cool getting billed for usage at the end of each month, you can safely ignore it.

We did get a kick out of helping teenagers use fly. :slight_smile: The credit card barrier has been a problem for them – crytpo miners ruin everything!

1 Like

Thanks Kurt!

I’ll be spinning up a test run of my app (and db) this weekend to see what issues I might run into when I move my app from Linode to Fly.

1 Like

Ah that’s awesome. Fingers crossed we’re simpler to operate than Linode. :wink:

1 Like

Success, my app is now running on Fly :smiley:.

It took about an hour (mostly because of some very likely not fly related build issues - it was hanging on one Gem and I think Docker was killing the build). I even managed to keep the existing app up and available (albeit in a readonly state) while the move was going on.

The wireguard VPN is nice since I can just run psql locally to hit the DB. I was thinking of using Tailscale for something similar for my Linode deploy, but now I don’t have too :wink:

1 Like