Volume Path and Django Media Root

I have a new app that involves uploading images. I have tried all sorts of different combinations in fly.toml and my settings.py, but nothing has worked yet. Let’s pretend my app is named ‘fubar’. Here is what I am doing right now before my flyctl deploy:

# fly.toml

[[mounts]]
  source = "fubar_media"
  destination = "/data"
# settings.py

MEDIA_ROOT = BASE_DIR / 'data/media'
MEDIA_URL = '/media/'

Let me ask a few questions:

1. There seem to be discrepancies between V1 and V2 with regard to the path. I am not altogether sure whether the [mounts] destination should be "/data", "/app/data", or "/fubar/data".

2. Perhaps my MEDIA_ROOT should simply be '/data/media' and should exclude the BASE_DIR?

I used these values for my first attempt:

# fly.toml

[[mounts]]
  source = "fubar_media"
  destination = "/media"
# settings.py

MEDIA_ROOT = BASE_DIR / 'media'
MEDIA_URL = '/media/'

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Hey @zip

Can you have a look at this? Add Volume Storage · Fly Docs

documentation suggests something like this

# fly.toml
[mounts]
source="myapp_data"
destination="/data"

where myapp_data is volume name
and /data is location where you want to mount the volume

1 Like

Hi @darkcheftar007,

Update: Thanks - Yes, I been setting the destination to the root, "/data", and my uploads are working and they persist. At this point my issue is Django itself, which is refusing to serve local media files. If I find a solution I will post it here.

Check this,

Hope it helps

The way I have been trying to do this is with Whitenoise, but it’s not working:

# settings.py

WHITENOISE_USE_FINDERS = True
WHITENOISE_AUTOREFRESH = True

STATICFILES_DIRS = [
    '/data/media',
]

Whitenoise is correctly serving my css, but not the media images uploaded by an admin.

Has anyone figured out how to do this? Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I am currently stuck on the same thing.

Hey @Opuffer,
Welcome to community.
Have you figured it out?

I am stuck on this same issue. I have successfully deployed my django project with DEBUG = False, and although static is being served successfully from a volume located at /data, the same cannot be said for media.

# fly.toml

[mounts]
  source="mydata"
  destination="/data"

# settings.py

if ENVIRONMENT == 'Development':
    MEDIA_ROOT = os.path.join(BASE_DIR, 'media')
elif ENVIRONMENT == 'Production':
    MEDIA_ROOT = '/data/media'
MEDIA_URL = '/media/'

When media is added to a model via the Admin portal, I can see that the file is being added to the storage volume, but when I then go to a template which tries to render this media (e.g. a user profile photo), all I get is a broken image icon. Can somebody please tell me how to serve media from a fly volume?