Suggestion: blend fly and flyctl tools together

I’m a total novice with fly.io toolset.

When it comes to CLI, my perception does not make any distinctions between fly and flyctl tools.
I do not have a mental model to have them separate, and I hardly believe I would ever acquire it. Even if I become super-proficient in fly.

Here is an example: fly logs but flyctl regions list. Why not just fly logs and fly regions list? It so much more intuitive and overall better from lingual and perceptional standpoints.

This is neither a bug nor a feature request, just a tiny amount of feedback about product perception. Personally, I would love to see those tools merged together some day. It is so much easier to just fly.

Wait … are they different?

I figured fly was a symlink to flyctl as it’s nicer. At least that’s what I seem to have (Mac):

lrwxr-xr-x  1 name  staff    39B 16 Feb 23:18 fly@ -> /Users/name/.fly/bin/flyctl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 name  staff    40M 12 Feb 16:41 flyctl*

So I can do e.g

fly regions list
Region Pool: 
lhr
Backup Region: 
ams
cdg

I do agree with you - fly is nicer in all respects. I agree it would be better to default to using that throughout, in docs, CLI etc, if possible.

1 Like

fly should just be a symbolic link to flyctl :slight_smile:

Therefore all commands should work the same. It’s possible our docs might sometimes mention either in different places though :thinking:

1 Like

They are indeed the same. fly is a symlink to flyctl.

So it is just a matter of docs narrative. The perceived difference between fly and flyctl made my head boiling as I did not spot the symlink.

Thanks @greg and @jerome for pointing that out! The corrected docs would save some newbies like me from serious confusion :smiling_face_with_tear:.

2 Likes