Setting up Wireguard on pop_OS!

Hello,

I was working through the Private Networking portion of the docs just before, as I’m setting up my Intel NUC to sit in the corner and receive logs and other metrics from Fly.io across a Wireguard connection (for fun).

I don’t have anything interesting to share. There really isn’t any further configuration besides what the docs mention although I did run into something particular to pop_OS!

Upon doing a wg-quick up <name>, squinting at the output might show you a curious but seemingly harmless warning message:

/etc/resolvconf/update.d/libc: Warning: /etc/resolv.conf is not a symbolic link to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

The short answer is that running sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf creates this symlink and your Wireguard connection will just work as expected after that. It recommends a restart but it worked instantly after running the above.

That’s about it. I didn’t find anything on this issue while searching the forum so maybe someone else will come across this in future when searching.

P.S. For anyone unfamiliar, pop_OS! is an “Everything just works” flavour of Ubuntu and the exclamation mark is part of the name, not me trying to be excited.