Production and staging apps down after being forcibly migrated to v2 platform without warning

Initially, we gave notice to people in this forum post. In retrospect, it didn’t have the visibility that we had expected, and we’ve started sending out warning emails with ample time before further migrations.

migrate-to-v2 doesn’t take the -a flag, but you can do it with fly config save -a <app_name> && fly migrate-to-v2. (note that this will write a fly.toml file in the current directory for the postgres app, so you might want to do it in an empty directory)
If you want to, you can do that to migrate your database manually, but you shouldn’t have to - Apps V2 apps can connect to postgres running on V1 totally fine.

Now, let’s get your app running. Here’s some general debugging steps based on other issues we’ve seen:

1. I’d like you to try to re-set any secrets you might’ve set for the apps. This should’ve been fixed, but we’ve seen an issue involving stale secrets values being used during migrations, as well as some secrets not being transferred correctly.
  2. I also want you to double-check your connection string. If it ends in .flycast, make sure there’s no region code in the URL. (e.g. my-db.flycast is good, ord.my-db.flycast is not)

If that doesn’t help, I’d like you to send an email to support@fly.io and we can take a closer look.