Private networks: can't access .internal addresses | connection times out

I’m trying to access the private networking via a bash script based on the description over here: https://fly.io/docs/reference/services/#private-network-services.

My fly.toml includes:

[experimental]
  private_network = "true"

My Dockerfile’s entrypoint runs a shell script that prints the private networking info:

echo "get host configs: "$(cat /etc/resolv.conf)
# this prints - "get host configs:  nameserver fdaa::3" as expected.

echo "Names of 6PN private networking apps: "$(dig -t txt _apps.internal +short)
# this prints - "Names of 6PN private networking apps:  ; <<>> DiG 9.11.20-RedHat-9.11.20-5.el8 <<>> -t txt _apps.internal +short ;; global options: +cmd ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached"

echo "Deployed regions: "$(dig -t txt ${appname}.internal +short)
# this prints - "Deployed regions:  ; <<>> DiG 9.11.20-RedHat-9.11.20-5.el8 <<>> -t txt ${appname}.internal +short ;; global options: +cmd ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached"

echo "IPv6 address of app instances in any region: "$(getent hosts global.${appname}.internal | awk '{ print $1 }')
# this prints - "IPv6 address of app instances in any region:"

It seems there’s a connection time out and this shouldn’t be the expected behavior. I also read this response from @thomas explaining how private addresses are injected prior to the boot sequence: Incoming! Private Networks and WireGuard VPNs.

Also wondering, is there a way to troubleshoot by exec’ing into the app? I don’t any obvious mention of this in the docs.

I’ve also tried out the privatenet example repo - fly-examples/privatenet. And while it deploys successfully, the endpoint / times out. I’m not sure if the two are related.

Exec isn’t publicly available yet, but if you shared an instance ID we can go poke around for you!

This does sound like you’ve hit a bug, but you might also try passing dig the @fdaa::3 option to dig and see if you get any different result.

Also, what region was this running in?

Thanks for the prompt response. This was deployed in sin region. I’ve destroyed the app, will re-create again and let you know.

Update here: When I deploy in iad region, I can see the 6PN address of the app instance everytime I tried. Though here, $(dig -t txt _apps.internal +short) doesn’t reliably get the app name. I have seen get it sometimes and miss it sometimes :thinking:

I had earlier tried sin and hkg regions earlier, where in both cases, I couldn’t get the 6PN addresses to resolve (the original issue that I posted).

Hey there! You were definitely right about the sin workers; the host you landed on was new and hit a corner case in the DNS installer. Thanks for spotting that.

I’m not seeing anything janky on hkg right now.

dig -t txt _apps.internal +short can take a few seconds to show up since it has to propagate through our system.