Path-based HTTP routing to instance groups of a single deployment

Greetings! Just got started with Fly.io and really love the platform flexibility so far.

One thing missing from many PaaS implementations is the ability to route HTTP requests by path to a set of instances under a single deployment.

For example, in a Rails application you might want to separate your websocket traffic from standard web traffic, or to isolate slow requests from others. Without the overhead of keeping two deployments in sync. Might this be possible with Fly’s router at some stage?

If not, it would be interesting to try implementing this with an intermediate tool like haproxy. To route traffic directly to instances, though, you would need some concept of grouping instances within a deployment, and a way to subscribe to VM scaling events.

Another haproxy approach could be to deploy the same prebuilt image to two applications. Then route traffic to the internal application endpoints exposed by DNS service discovery. This seems like it would reduce - but not remove - the risk of these two applications getting out of sync.

Cheers in advance.

Joshua

3 Likes

This is a super interesting question. We do have plans for some routing logic that lets you control where requests go (starting with static assets we can cache at the edge). But I hadn’t thought of using rules to pick “sets” of application VMs like that.

It makes a lot of sense, though, especially for Rails / Django. Have you seen a good UX for defining these groups and rules?

The only platform I know of that supports this today is Digital Ocean’s App Platform. Here’s an example from their app spec (with some config redacted for clarity):

services:
- http_port: 8080
  instance_count: 2
  instance_size_slug: professional-s
  name: rails-actioncable
  routes:
  - path: /cable

A service is similar to the concept of the Fly application, only one level deeper, similar to something like Docker Compose. An app may run any number of independent services. Each service may reserve specific paths, and has its own instance count and size.

They don’t have any visual representation of this in their UI, though they have something similar in their Kubernetes product where node groups are represented as independent instance groups with their own scaling rules and settings. Here you can see two node groups in a single cluster, each with a different scaling configuration.

Oh that’s helpful. We are planning to let you create multiple process types in a single app. We primarily need those so people can run workers/web processes, but they’d work equally well for splitting by request type.

When we get there I’ll take another look at this, I think it’s a pretty useful power.

Great! So right now, workers must run as a separately deployed application?

Yep, it’s a little gross to setup but seems to work pretty well.

Sure, I think it’s fine for many cases. The main risk is the possibility of app code being out of sync.

For workers I am planning to use Foreman as the entry point in my docker image and running the worker in the same VM as my rails app.

3 Likes

That should work fine.

We do want to offer more features for easily running multiple processes / instances as a single logical unit.

Relevant to the discussion around running multiple processes in “docker”

3 Likes

s6 is pretty nice. I’ve been (between work projects) using it to setup Ghost + Litestream: https://ghost-blog.fly.dev

Is this something that seems far off? I’ve got a few apps that I’d love to move over, but they would need this sort of coordination of deployments in a single group. Path-based routing could still be dealt with another way (putting nginx or haproxy in the middle).

Cheers for the hard work!
Joshua

I would call this “second tier priorities”. Which means we might tackle it in a month or two, but it’s not really enough to gamble on! Using haproxy or nginx in the middle seems like something we shouldn’t be inflicting on people though.

I was mixing two issues here I think. Path-based routing isn’t something hard to work around. Running haproxy/varnish is a requirement for some projects and that’s OK. They are simple to run within Fly.

However, deploying multiple components is harder to work around. The workaround suggested here - using a process monitor in a container - feels worse to me than the pain inflicted by an intermediate cache/proxy. One reason is that worker and web workloads are usually quite different and require different memory, scaling and CPU requirements.

That said, for now maybe it’s not terrible to deploy two apps. My concerns there:

• If one deployment fails and the other succeeds, the two will out of sync
  • There are guarantees about the two deployments going out at the same time

I’m open to suggestions on how to solve these two problems while waiting for this functionality to be added.

1 Like

Bumping this to see if any progress on ‘multple components’ may be on the horizon, before looking into custom orchestration.

As mentioned above, using s6 will be a problem given the different requirements of workers versus web processes. These should not be interfering with each other.

The alternative would be to run two deployments, and ensure that a successful one is rolled back if the second deployment does not succeed. Is anyone already something like this?

We’ve made some progress. This is the biggest problem we need to solve right now so we’ll hopefully have a cleaner answer soon.

Sorry for bumping this old thread. Do we have any news on that?

I have a situation where I need to redirect different paths to an application.

I was considering leveraging the [processes] to put them in different VMs, but I still want to manage it in a single App.

@endersonmaia I don’t know if it’s exactly what you’re looking for, but for app v2 you can specify which process groups you want an [http_service] block to apply too.

[http_service]
  processes = ["web"] # this service only applies to the web process
  internal_port = 8080
  force_https = true

@rugwiro no, I still need a way to define the /path to listen to requests.