Out of memory?

I’ve got an app funning on fly.io and it fairly reliably uses very little memory; here’s a graph of memory utilisation from the last 6 hours from fly’s Grafana:

12 minutes ago, I got an email from Fly about this app saying: “Your application hosted on Fly.io crashed because it ran out of memory” with the following raw log message: Out of memory: Killed process 534 (convert) total-vm:585448kB, anon-rss:196224kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:0kB, UID:0 pgtables:1188kB oom_score_adj:0

There’s no state that should corrupt from this but I’m curious if others have seen an issue like this before!

1 Like

I had some errors in my app that would cause the deploy to fail with an OOM error. Bumping the memory available to the app resulted in my build succeeding. When I resolved that error, i was able to deploy again on the minimum Memory configuration.

Never did I see an indication from Memory Utilization that I was going to run out of Memory. It seems that whatever caused my app to have an immediate spike in RAM usage was enough to kill/prevent the app from continuing.

So In answer to your question, yes - I’ve seen it and changes to my app resolved the issue.

1 Like