In two apps, any new machine that mounts a Staged secret as a file is destroyed by flyd about 1 second after creation. There is no error and no log output. Config changes to the one existing machine are also ignored, and secrets never move from Staged to Deployed.
Apps
- App A has one running machine from Aug 30 (release v7), plus a stopped standby. It works and passes health checks.
- App B is a new app that shows
suspended. I don’t know why.
What I did, with results
- I set a new value for the secret that backs a
filesmount on App A, then ranfly deploy. Releases v8 to v17 all reportcomplete, but the machine config is unchanged. It is still at release version 7, and the mount still references the original secret name. The secrets list showsStagedwith the new digest. fly machine update <machine> --file-secret /path=<OTHER_SECRET>: the machine restarts, but--display-configstill shows the old mount.fly machine clone <machine>: the machine is created, then destroyed. The event log shows onlypending/launch,created/launch, thendestroyed/destroyfromflyd, 4 seconds apart. The CLI waited 5 minutes for it to start.- On App B I ran
fly machine run alpine sleep 600with no mounts. It started fine. - On the same app I ran the same command with
--file-secret /secrets/k.pem=<SECRET_B>. The machine was destroyed within 1 second (events: pending, created, destroyed, all by flyd). fly secrets setwithout--stage: the status staysStaged.fly secrets deploy -a <app B>: “Error: no machines available to deploy”. App B’s only machine was created withfly machine run, so it isn’t part of Fly Launch.
Expected: a secret set with fly secrets set should become Deployed, and machines that mount it should start. Config updates should apply to the existing machine.
Questions
- Why do the secrets stay
Staged, and what moves them toDeployedin an app with no Fly Launch machines? - Why are machines referencing a
Stagedsecret destroyed silently? - What does the
suspendedstate on App B mean, and could it be related?
I can share machine IDs and timestamps privately if staff need them: the clone was destroyed at 2026-10-10 23:27Z and the secret-mount probe at 2026-10-11 00:09Z.