Is there backups for persistent volumes

I am testing out to deploy a simple wordpress through the official docker image.
I am thinking of mounting a persistent volume to house the wordpress assets, but is it possible to download the content or upload or have backups through s3 or some sort?

2 Likes

We do take snapshots for disaster recovery, but there’s no way (yet) for you to download and use these. Until we get those, you might want to sync those items to s3 or similar.

6 Likes

Do you mean syncing it through s3 manually?

1 Like

Keen to get some clarity on backups for Fly Volumes. :crossed_fingers:

We have deployed an instance of Gitea to Fly.io see: GitHub - dwyl/gitea-server: 🍵 Step-by-step instructions for deploying Gitea on Fly.io
Before we can use it as a “core” part of our infrastructure, we need to be certain that the Volume (which has both git data and the SQLite DB) is backed up on a known schedule.
Ideally we would like to have a multi-instance/region setup where the data and DB are synced for HA.

Manually syncing to S3 seems painful. But could be a last-resort option. :thought_balloon:

If Volumes backups/replication/sync cannot be configured, we could consider using Litestream

Just want to check what the roadmap for Volumes is before we spend DevOps time on this. :pray:

2 Likes

Things are mostly the same as what Kurt posted above… automated 24h snapshots for disaster recovery, but configurable schedule and download/restore aren’t exposed yet.

We’re doing a lot of work on our volume infra so we can finally close those gaps. No timeframe, but exposing on-demand backup, restore, and resizing, along with configurable schedule and retention are high priority for us.

1 Like

You could use something economical like restic to backup files to S3/Backblaze/etc. It doesn’t do continuous/streaming replication, though.

Hello, any upgrade in this matter? Any option / blog post explaining how to backup volumes?

Thanks!

Fly auto-backups volumes, afaik. Though, keeps those around for 5 to 7 days, only.

See: Volume Restores are now available!

Yes, this I have seen, but I still can’t see the option to download the volume. :thinking: